NHS Resolution is delighted to launch in collaboration with system partners year two of its maternity incentive scheme.
The initiative rewards trusts meeting ten safety actions, refined for year two, as agreed by the national maternity safety champions and in partnership with the Department of Health and Social Care, NHS Digital, NHS England, NHS Improvement, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecology, Royal College of Midwives, MBRRACE-UK, Royal College of Anaesthetists and the Care Quality Commission.
Year two of the scheme will continue to support the delivery of safer maternity care through the use of an incentive element to members’ contributions to the Clinical Negligence Scheme for Trusts.
The ten safety actions
1. Are you using the National Perinatal Mortality Review Tool to review and report perinatal deaths to the required standard?
2. Are you submitting data to the Maternity Services Data Set to the required standard?
3. Can you demonstrate that you have transitional care services to support the Avoiding Term Admissions Into Neonatal units Programme?
4. Can you demonstrate an effective system of medical workforce planning to the required standard?
5. Can you demonstrate an effective system of midwifery workforce planning to the required standard?
6. Can you demonstrate compliance with all four elements of the Saving Babies’ Lives care bundle?
7. Can you demonstrate that you have a patient feedback mechanism for maternity services and that you regularly act on feedback?
8. Can you evidence that 90% of each maternity unit staff group have attended an ‘in-house’ multi-professional maternity emergencies training session within the last training year?
9. Can you demonstrate that the trust safety champions (obstetrician and midwife) are meeting bi-monthly with Board level champions to escalate locally identified issues?
10. Have you reported 100% of qualifying 2018/19 incidents under NHS Resolution’s Early Notification scheme?
The key dates for participating trusts are:
- Trusts will be able to submit their Board declaration form and action plan to MIS@resolution.nhs.uk from Thursday 1 August 2019.
- The deadline for trusts to submit their Board declaration form and action plan is Thursday 15 August 2019 at 12 noon.
- NHS Resolution will review final results and action plans in September 2019.
- Notification of provisional awards will be sent to trusts on Monday 30 September 2019.
- The appeals deadline is Monday 14 October 2019.
- NHS Resolution will process incentive scheme payments in November 2019.
Full details of the conditions of the scheme, ten safety actions, supporting technical guidance, frequently asked questions, Board declaration form and action plan are available to review.