What are HPANs?
We are responsible for the management of the Healthcare Professional Alert Notices (HPANs) system. This is a system where notices are issued by us to inform NHS bodies and others about health professionals who may pose a significant risk of harm to patients, staff or the public.
HPANs are usually used whilst the regulator is considering the concerns and provides an additional safeguard during the pre-employment checking process.
Requests to issue a HPAN
Please note: the request must be made by an Executive Board member or their authorised deputy and must relate to a healthcare professional (or a person holding himself out to be a healthcare professional) who:
- poses a significant risk of harm to patients, staff or the public;
- may continue to work or seek additional or other work in the NHS as a healthcare professional;
- that there is a pressing need to issue an alert notice
How to check if an individual is the subject of a HPAN
Once the HPAN has been authorised, copies will be distributed electronically to the following:
- NHS England National Medical Director
- NHS England Regional Medical Director
- NHS England Area Team Medical Director
- Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for Northern Ireland
- Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for Scotland
- Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for Wales
- the NHS body which requested it
- the relevant healthcare regulatory body
- the subject of the HPAN
It may also be sent to any NHS body, or other organisation which provides services to an NHS body, which we believe may be approached by the subject of the HPAN with a view to working in the NHS.
From 5 October 2015, NHS bodies with access to the nhs.net (via the N3 portal) may apply for access to the Performers List and Healthcare Professional Web Check Service, which allows employers to check whether an individual is subject to an active HPAN.
If your organisation does not already have access to this web service (for Performers Lists Checks) and you wish to use it, we will require details of one person per organisation who, in addition to completing checks, will act as local administrator with rights to grant system access to colleagues. We require their name, position, organisation, email address and telephone number. Please send these details to Appeals@resolution.nhs.uk
Organisations that have not registered for the Web Check Service and do not have a secure nhs.net connection, who wish to check whether an individual is subject to an HPAN should contact the Practitioner Performance Advice Service directly.
Page last updated on: